Welcome to the Consulate General of The Republic of Latvia to Lebanon
The Consulate General of Latvia in Beirut represents the Republic of Latvia in Lebanon and covers the 5 Boroughs of Beirut, Zahle, North of Lebanon, the South of Lebanon, and the Mont Lebanon. Its broad mission is to promote Latvian interests in Lebanon and to provide assistance to Latvians visiting Lebanon and residents. The Consulate seeks to assist in fostering broader knowledge in Lebanon about Latvia and to facilitate increased business, educational, and cultural relations between Lebanon and Latvia - one of the European Union's fastest growing and historically and culturally interesting nations.
Things you should know about Riga
- Riga is the largest city in the three Baltic States
- There are three major ports in Latvia - Liepaja, Riga and Ventspils, as well as seven smaller ports - Skulte, Mersrags, Salacgriva, Pavilosta, Roja, Lielupe and Engure, which are situated along the entire coastline of Latvia.
- Riga is Europe's capital of art nouveau architecture
- Riga is one of the greenest city in the region
- Historic center in Riga is included in the UNESCO world heritage list
- Riga , ranked as the best large European city for cost effectiveness by FDI Magazine
|Largest cities or towns of Latvia|
Latvian News 21-10-2016
- The first container train headed for Riga departs from China On Thursday, 20 October, Latvian Transport Minister Uldis Augulis, representatives from LDz and YXE International Container Train, multiple Chinese officials and Latvia?s ambassador in China Maris Selga saw off the first test container train from China to Riga. The test route Yiwu-Zabaikalsk-Riga is 11,066 km long. The entire run is expected to conclude at the beginning of November with a festive arrival of the train at Riga Central Station. The test run is organized by LDZ Logistics and the Chinese Railway in cooperation with TransContainer. «Today marks a historic moment for transit, because what we are witnessing now is the result of our hard work ? green is given to the first test cargo train headed for Riga. I am happy with this outcome, as it was accomplished in relatively short period of time, considering the specifics of this industry and the challenges we had to face in order to reach this moment. I visited China this summer and we reached an agreement on cooperation. This is the first step towards regular cooperation and I hope this event will help us successfully develop cooperation with China in the field of transit and logistics,» ? Augulis emphasized. As it is known, on 12 July, Latvia and China signed an agreement memorandum on the development of China Railway Express project to establish railway connectivity between China and Europe.
- Two of the last twenty three first refugees have left Latvia The last two of the first twenty three refugees resettled in Latvia have left for Germany. Eritrean refugee Robel commended the work done by Mucenieki refugee centre?s employees and decided to leave for Germany with his wife in September. This marked the departure of the last of the first 23 refugees that had arrived in Latvia as part of the international refugee resettlement programme. Santa Jonate, spokesperson for the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs, has told LETA that the man voluntarily left his job in OCMA, where worked as a translator and communication expert with other refugees. At the beginning of September, twenty one out of twenty three of the first refugees that Latvia had resettled as part of Europe?s international refugee resettlement programme had already left for Germany. Each asylum seeker resettled in Latvia is paid EUR 139 benefit a month. An additional amount of EUR 97 is paid for each next family member. Refugees provided with alternative status are paid benefits over a course of nine months after provision of alternative status. Those provided with refugee status are paid benefits for an entire year. Latvia has resettled a total of 109 people as part of the EU resettlement programme so far. 32 of them have been provided with alternative status and 5 people ? with refugee status. Refugee status is provided without a specific term, whereas alternative status is provided for a year. Last year, Latvia agreed to resettle a total of 531 people on its territory over the course of two years. Most of them would come from EU countries ? Greece and Italy. Fifty refugees to be resettled in Latvia have to come from third countries.
- SP: claims about Motorola?s murderer are an attempt to show Latvia as the enemy Latvian Security Police views claims that Donetsk military commander Arseny Pavlov, aka Motorola, was allegedly killed by a hired killer from Latvia named Marks Ozolins is nothing more than yet another attempt at information war aimed to demonstrate Latvia and its citizens and enemies. In addition, SP notes that the person in question is unknown to the service. As previously reported, rumors have recently surfaced on Ukrainian and Russian websites that Donetsk pro-Moscow militant commander Arseny Pavlov, aka Motorola, was possibly killed by Latvian mercenary named Marks Ozolins. This rumor is reported with reference to a blog post made on Live Journal by user ?skif1959?. He claims that information surfaced on websites of Donetsk People?s Republic, stating that Motorola?s killer is Marks Ozolins from Latvia. He also claims Ozolins had help from someone. According to the blogger, Donetsk hackers published Ozolins? photo on their Twitter account ?Kiberdruzhina Donbassa? and urged residents to help them find him. The blog post also tells that Ozolins had infiltrated the ranks of Donetsk militants at the beginning of the year and that he had been recruited by Ukrainian Security Service in Riga.